04 March 2009

March 4th

Not a good day today

Managed to get off work early and thought I would get on with removing the front tank outriggers and start Marine Cleaning the two tanks ready for the POR Tank Seal. So while the two of them were having a long soak I thought I would get the chassis ready for the two new outriggers.

Well I finished chopping and cleaning ready for weld when Mr Posty drops the Paddocks parcel off. I then thought I would just clean up the rest of the chassis rails before I apply a coat of Waxoyl (note three passes of the pressure washer to remove all the years of built up graese and grime had been carried out by then).

OMG! Working along one side I found rot on the rear spring hangers/rot in one cross-member/rot in the side of the chassis rail then on the other side a few more holes. Not a happy bunny and it looks like a lot of patches have been applied before (and some over old ones) so adding more may (or may not) be the order of the day? So the decision is whether a rear half chassis should be fitted later....or something more major.

Here's a sample.............






















Just goes to show that despite the truck having a current MOT and new outriggers everywhere - they were all a symptom of something a bit more major. Once three passes of the pressure washer and a visit by Mr Hammer it all becomes a bit more obvious :(

Gave up and went for a beer and a curry.........

No comments:

Post a Comment