23 February 2009

Feb 23rd

Now the old tank parts came off a welded thicker tank and the tank I am using is a soldered tank (thinner material). I should have stayed with just MIG tacking the parts every 1cm but I did try to crank the feed rate and current down and run a bead of weld. But it was no good and I blew through and had to backfill Still it looks usable and should be fuel tight once the POR15 tank seal goes in.

Well I have attacked the issue of the mutant fuel tank tonite and now we have a hybrid underseat fill from a rear fill. It needs to be thoroughly cleaned inside and out now but I know it is water tight (before I lopped the bits off) the POR15 treated.




Donor tank 'donates' an underseat fill.




Hole cut in tank ith a handy holesaw I borrowed from work.




Tacked in place - badly LOL




And the final comparison with the 'good' tank that is pinholed and the modded one. Note the re-fitted filler is just off the center line (unlike the original) and the position of the sender. The 'new' filler position should just be OK on the drivers side and clear the seat box overhang but if not it will fit on the pass/nearside and still have access to the fill.




Now the outside needs a good clean up too.

No comments:

Post a Comment