14 February 2009

Feb...again...Fuel tanks not good..

Well we have moved on a bit. Or should I rephrase that as I now have more found problems that need resolving?

Now I knew the aux tank was probably shot and after giving the chassis jet wash No. 2 I found the rear of the tank was a pile of rust (4"x4" hole) - so that one is a no hoper. The main tank though was iffy. I say iffy as the PO mentioned there may be a small leak and once the area around it was pressure washed I could then smell fuel. Oh no! Drained the tank and had to remove it to see what was up. Did I mention that I still haven't finished the front axle and this tank investigation was just a distraction?

Anyhoo tank out and found that the base of the tank was pinholed with rust where the support plate mates with the main tank. I managed to split the soldered joints so the support plate was off and I found the leaks - rust. The good news it looks salvagable with POR15 tank seal. I can then get the whole lot painted witha few layers of smoothrite and re-assembled. If I don't use it as a main then it would be fine for the aux.

Now to the main tank. A new one from Craddocks will be £127 plus shipping in military underseat fill guise but the 'equivalent' civi side fill version is only £60 - logical non? So how about cutting off the underseat fill from the dud tank then soldering (silver/lead) to the civi version and seal off where necessary. I have the flux and materials to hand anyway so it's a thought? I am still debating whether to to bite the bullet on the Craddocks price to save a few hours labour

A piece of good news is the chassis. Now that I have had to drop both tanks I can see the whole of the chassis rails and the time I have spent under there has been put to good use. They are all solid, bar the tank front outriggers, so I'll lop them out and at £6 + vat from Paddocks they are a minimal expense. (Editors note - read on for the real chassis condition!)

Oh, also the Smiths is fine and dandy and works! Just need to refit once I have sorted the front axles/fuel tank/engine service set-up.......................

No comments:

Post a Comment