11 July 2013

10th July 2013 - Bits falling off.......

Over the past three days Trig's has driven around 250 miles trudging back and forth to the office picking up a French colleague from his hotel on the way (he has a 'thing' about Land Rovers so did not want to disappoint). A far more thorough shakedown run that he has ever been subject to before. A few faults occurred on the way home yesterday....but Trigs trudged on regardless.

WOULD NOT START
Pulled up at the hotel and when I went to restart with a hot engine the starter would wind over but the engine would not kick. I had been running on SVO for a few miles so I suspected a fuel blockage.

Popped the bonnet and, yes that was the case. Switched back to diesel on the RH tank and after a few turns he started and ran. I need to investigate the fuel issue on the LH side (see below).

BONNET CATCH
When I went to open the bonnet one of the military catches broke. The central pin pulled through the retaining cap in the end so it was left flapping on the bonnet. I wrapped a bungie around it for the 30 mile run home.

When I returned home I put a cold chisel/vice/MIG welder to good use and fixed it. They are not designed to be 'servicable' Ha ha!

RH FUEL TANK
Looking under the LR before I headed home I noticed a small drip falling from the RH tank. Checking the 2p sized damp patch I found it was definitely diesel. There was a similar damp area under the mud on the tank. It is a minor leak but does look like another issue.

The twin fuel tanks were the first items to be overhauled when I started stripping the 109 down, back in 2009. Each tank was chem washed and epoxied inside and out with tank seal. I am surprised if that has failed but I need to investigate further.

Pic from 2009


LH TANK FUEL SUPPLY
The LH tank runs around 75% SVO (maybe more) and was working fine early this week. Once the engine has done 5-6 miles and is up to temp I switch over.

One morning was a little colder (not that cold as I have had the tilt up and the door tops off) and I noticed that it was suffering fuel starvation under heavy load. Flick to the RH tank and it ran fine.

So I have a few possible causes:-
  • The fuel line is 6mm ID and uninsulated. Maybe change to a more insulating type of std fuel hose?
  • I am relying on only the mech lift pump on the Tdi to pull the fuel over. Probably asking too much?
  • Thin the SVO a bit more with a bit more unleaded?
  • Tank CAV filter blockage. Doubtful as this was changed a few months back.
  • Vent blocked. No. Vent taken apart and thoroughly cleaned this week.

Another issue to investigate?

No comments:

Post a Comment