22 July 2013

20 July 2013 - Fuel line plugged/tank back in

As the POR coating was being left to cure for a few days I still needed to do another dump run or two so as the LH tank was running fine with dieso last weekend I thought there wouldn't be any issues. How wrong was I?

Heading out to the refuse tip on Saturday morning I approached a 1 in 3 hill out of the neighbouring village and then started to lose power on the hill. Then the engine cut out. Oh dear. Fuel starvation. My sudden stop did seem to miff the guy who was up my butt up the hill but there was nowt I could do.

I managed to get the engine running again and made it to the dump and home again (7 miles) without any further issues.

Back home I started to strip the system down. First the fuel filter had not been changed for a while so that was swapped. The old one had a foam shroud over it for some additional insulation and once removed I could see that the filter was not tight and had been leaking slightly. So I cleaned everything up and replaced with new O-rings.

Gunge in the filter

Once the engine was fired up it normally takes 5 mins to clear the air out of the system and the fresh filter. Not this time. After 10 mins it was running better but some air continued to appear in the feed lines. Engine was shut down and I pulled the feed tube out of the tank. Trying to blow down it seemed a bit 'restricted'. This is what I found in the right angled section at the outlet.

Well that's blocked then!!

So this was the reason for the Tdi struggling before the drain down then the dieso in throw in there helped to flush even more to the point of the blockage?

The filler cap was also blocked pretty much. In the end I soaked it first in kerosene and then cleaning solvent. Also torched it in betweeen to see if that would burn the gunge out. Eventually after a second soak in solvent the vents cleared.

 
Cap started like this. Varnish and polymerisation
 
That'll clean the gunge out?

From now on I will restrict the the LH tank to 75% WVO. This will limit the polymerisation and also the varnish built up.

RH TANK BACK IN
Once the LH tank feed problems were fixed I could turn my attentions back to the newly lined RH tank.

Originally this wasn't due to be refitted until the following day but I was due to a local car show the next morning and as the weather had been a pretty steady 27-30 Deg.C since the coating was applied it was now rock solid.

Tank raised in position via a car scissor jack and a few lumps of wood and filled with 20 litres of pure dieso. No sign of any leakage after a few hours so....touch wood?

Here's the interior coating before the fuel was chucked it.




No comments:

Post a Comment