20 June 2013

14th June 2013 - Sump back on and off we go!

SUMP BACK ON
Well all the expected parts arrived so we were ready to get the whole lot back together. Sump sealed with RTV and left overnight to cure. In the meantime I thought I would check over the tappet clearances again. Last time I set them to dead 8 thou (0.2mm). That is the Haynes specified clearance but I decided to reset to 10 thou. A little bit more play, but better a little bigger than too tight?

Rocker went on with a new gasket and the side mounted vent filter had a smear of black RTV before re-assy.

The following morning SWMBO had me scheduled to haul a load of 12ft 4" dia. posts from the local farmers merchant so Trig's had to be fit. 6 'or so' litres of 10/40 went in the hole and he fired and sounded fine. After the 15 mile round trip a quick check showed the sump to be around 1 litre overfull. Well I did say 6 or so and I guess it settled a bit from when I previously measured the level?

After starting to drain a bit out I decided to dump the lot and refill. The first fill of oil at least gave the lot a good flush through? No harm other than the waste of oil and cleaner internals are never a bad thing?

Definitely running better (fixing the exhaust helped?) and I don't appear to have any more oil leaks so touch wood......

Next challenge is to get through the annual MOT next week?

No comments:

Post a Comment