29 October 2009

31st October - Engine mount fixed......Rad panel off for galv

EXHAUST SYSTEM
Taking another look at both the possible routes and parts to use to make a usable system for the tdi I had a bit of an epiphany and thought 'why not look at the original Series petrol system?'. This one is in good condition and had only been on Trigger for 2 years before it moved on to me.

Now looking at the Disco system the internal bore is 2.1" at the downpipe and drops to 1.8" further back with two silencer boxes. The Series std system had a bore minimum of 1.5" ID. Not much difference and it has a single box - and I could use the large rear box from the Disco easily enough if it is more efficient or use nowt?

Lining up the Series downpipe with the 300tdi mounting proved that it would both miss the engine mount plus the first cross-member behind the engine. The route would then be spot-on and I could use all the original mounts! All it would need is a 3 stud flange either by modifying the existing one or aquire and weld on one from a 200/300 tdi downpipe. I have a new 300tdi downpipe here which owes me £25 so I could butcher that, but I would prefer to use a secondhand one off an old system - if I can find one? Then I can 'Bay the new unused section. So far it looks as if the flange is not available as a 'spare'. They are only suppllied fitted to the downpipe. Or make one up from a piece of 1/4" mild steel plate?

The other issue is would the system work OK with the slightly increased back pressure induced by the reduced bore?

The thread I started on this subject is here --> http://www.series2club.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=31277.msg279106#msg279106

Decision made on the exhaust. From the discussion on the link above I will build the exhaust from parts I have to hand, starting with the the 300tdi Defender downpipe - modified slightly. At least then from that point it should be straightforward?


RAD PANEL
Well a bit of progress here. As mentioned in the last post the panel has now been stripped and after a bit of haggling I have agreed that the panel is going to be repaired by Ashtree. Price was also haggled down a little as I am local and will drop off and pick-up. So they will repair and fully galvanise it! The only issue now is to arrange a drop-off. They respond to emails after 24 hours but mobile and landlines are always on answerphone?

In the end I got hold of Lyn (he works as almost a one man operation) just before he headed to Holland for one week to deliver another batch of galv bulkheads. Front panel is now with him and should be back with me in 3-4 weeks.

ENGINE MOUNTS
After finding out the offside was lacking a certain 'slipper plate' that then went back on over the weekend. Engine now sits spot on level and there is no longer any strain on the mounts. Tidy!





Well the fuel tanks didn't get fitted and there was no progress on the exhaust over the weekend due to both time and the weather so let's see what the next one brings?

No comments:

Post a Comment