08 September 2009

4th-6th September - Chassis now rolling

Another spurt of activity (so much so I forgot to take any pics!) over a long weekend.

Chassis is now fully rolling with both the front a rear axles fitted (still have the U-bolts issue with RM though) using Paddocks petrol U-bolts all round, which fit fine on the RM parabolics. Front hubs on temporarily though as I need to fit some new swivel seals (might as well?)....and then get the gaiters on (Vasaline soaking in). LR Series order on it's way so may finish that off next weekend. But......


The reason for this spurt was mobilise the 109 to vacate a space in the courtyard to 'roll' the Discovery in for strip-down. Had a few problems with the Disco namely I managed to drive it through the front door of one of my garages Friday (no clutch and no foot brake) but after a bit of hammer fettlin' the Disco made it into the 'yard on Sunday - {Homer voice on]dhooooo[Homer voice off]. 'Engine out' booked for next weekend.

By end of play Sunday the rad and intercooler were out. I had drained a further 25 litres of diesel out of the Disco fuel tank (fitted a bucket underneath and just drilled a hole at a low point). Most of the electrical connections removed from the 200tdi and the fuel filter and glow-plug wiring assembly tucked away. So exhaust/starter connections/heater matrix/throttle still to go....then to tackle the bellhousing. So there's next Saturday gone?


At the moment I have fitted the original 4.7 diff's in and will probably keep it that way. Diso diff's will be removed and put to one side if they are 10 spline otherwise they will be 'weighed in' if no-one wants them. As to whether to turbo or not to turbo I am still bouncing that decision around. To turbo firstly requires a 200tdi Defender manifold assembly and I have given up finding one of those. An alternative is a 300tdi Defender (custom exhaust required) but nothing yet there either.....and a DI install meets the KISS objective?

We will get it sitting in the rails and I'll decide when I come up against a wall schedule wise!

One more thing. The Disco is going to be broken anyway after I take off all the bits that I need so I have offered the majority of the parts to the bunch of LR Magpies that inhabit the internet.

So far I have had requests for the rear half shafts, transfer box, headlining, some plastic trim and the wiper assembly. So add that to the free fuel and the Disco hasn't really 'cost' me much? The local scrap merchant has also agreed to collect the non-rolling chassis/shell against the scrap value ;) Also dropped off the scrap 109 chassis/springs and two dustbins full of electrical cable Friday morning to the tune of £63!

Cheers all,
Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment