24 November 2012

24th November 2012 - Glow plugs now working...after a fashion!

GLOW PLUGS
Ordered yesterday at 1400 and this morning a set of glowplugs get delivered by the postie. I can recommend www.Barry4x4.co.uk !

Now despite it piss'isting with rain all day I thought I would make a start on this job. Yesterday evening and this morning I had put copiuous amounts of GT85 around the plug so I hoped that would break any bond formed after 18 years of being in there?

The first problem was the plug on No.1 cylinder. It was very stiff to turn and then I realised it wasn't turning in the bore but twisting the whole plug body! Ballcocks! If I proceed with stressing it any further I can see this causing me to have the head off. Not something I want to be doing at the moment.

So with the plug about a third up it's thread I have had to leave it there. As luck would have it this is the ONLY plug that is actually still working anyway. As and when I overhaul the top end then I will be far happier putting a bit more force on this or drilling and running a tap down...but not when the head is on!

The other three plugs came out pretty easily and are all marked Beru Germany so I am still confident they are the original ones. Stuck on the bench and with a DVM across them all three are knackered. Resistance measurements of

Plug 4 - 4.5k Ohm (this must have decided to fail since yesterday's check?)
Plug 3 - 140k Ohm
Plug 2 - 1k Ohm
Plug 1 - 0.9 Ohm

The new Allmakes plug was also 0.9 - 1.0 Ohm cold.

Pic below of the three plugs after removal plus the new unit on the right.


Once the new plugs were in (a light smear of coppaslip on the threads) I fired her up..or at least I attempted to, but the relay supply fuse failed after 5 seconds. So, so much for the idea that the fuse will take short bursts of high current? I am an electrical engineer for Pete's sake but that doesn't help when there is no data available for the I2t curve for the automotive fuse LOL. It's obviously faster than a fast thing on a fast day?

Fuse now bypassed (40A and the biggest available in the std automotive blade size) and I tried again with a 15 sec. burst of glow and it fired up like a Swiss (cheap Chinese copy more like) watch.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment