23 June 2010

23rd June - Steering box again......

While I try to locate parts/part No.s for some of the steering box parts I took another look at the main cast housing and in particular the outlet shaft seal.

On initial inspection it appeared that it was some form of lip seal pressed into the casting later it was found to be just an O-ring (271013) which can be easily removed and swapped out.


As an aside the 'washer' pressed in above the seal (271014) is NLA. Not that I can see anyone needing one? To remove the washer (and allow a route out/in for the bush below) I pulled out the O-ring the inserted large screwdriver in the O-ring groove and twisted hard. Washer then pops out and leaves enough material to peen over and hold the washer after.

The oil-tite bush was then removed to allow a new one to be tapped into place. There was nothing really wrong with the old one (no play at all) but I had already bought a new genuine one so.... method used was to drive a screwdriver down the side of the bush alongside the vetical split in the bush. The bush would then fold in and can then be removed. The slighty damaged surface was then tidied up with some wet-n-dry.

My problem now is the shaft won't fit through the bush (why do I try and 'fix' something that wasn't 'broken' in the first place?). From comments on the S2 forum the thought is that the bush has to be 'reamed to suit' after install! This does not feature in the 'Green Bible'.  So I may now end up using the scrap steering box housing who's bush is also fine ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment