16 August 2009

16th August - Chassis top coat on

Surprisingly the sun shone all day on Sat and Sun so I able to make an attempt at the final coat of chassis paint.

Now I have been wondering whether to paint it Deep Bronze Green (DBG) using the Containergard (as I have so much) or to use the black Rust Bullet top coat that I bought for the job (but is probably going to struggle to achieve even one coat with only 1 litre).

Saturday I had a quick go with the Containgard and realised fast that it requires a lot of thinning and dries almost immediately. So never drag the brush over a previously coated section! Anyway, I used some DBG on the front end of the chassis and left it overnight. Looking at it in the morning it was obvious it would need two coats to do the job when thinned to a suitable level so I would need to use half the can to do a good job.....and I really wanted at least half a can to paint the outside of the LR after all?

So back to the black. Sunday - Decanting about 300ml of RB into an old (but clean) baked bean tin (Tesco budget brand) then thinned with some synthetic enamel thinners (aprox. 10%) and tried it on a small area. Coverage was good so I thought what the hell and went for it. Luckily there was enough, but it was tight and wasn't helped by me spilling some during a moment of lapsed concentration. Time taken for another lap = 3 hours.

So here it is and ready to leave for a few weeks until the axles are ready to fit.



Next job. Get those axles cleaned/stripped and painted.

No comments:

Post a Comment